Patras IQ: the island of excellence that set the background for INTECMED project's innovative ecosystem
The INTECMED project envisages developing an integrated Mediterranean ecosystem that facilitates technology transfer and commercialization of research results while strengthening linkages among research, industry, private sector, and citizens. INTECMED will seek to establish a cooperation framework, complementary to the existing national policies that can foster international collaboration at two levels: at the institutional level with the collaboration of the Regional Innovation Facility Points through Memorandums of Understanding and beneficiaries level through synergies. Such a complementary framework, in terms of policy, could be translated into incentives for international exchange study trips among partner countries, joint exhibitions and promotional activities, under the auspices of national Ministries.
The PATRAS IQ Exhibition served as an inspiration for INTECMED project being a success story that set the path to achieve the objectives of the project. As INTECMED project aims at replicating this initiative at a regional level getting involved key stakeholders in the innovation ecosystem in the Mediterranean.
This event was launched in 2016, in the frame of a 10-year program contract signed by the Ministries of Development and Investment, Education & Religions, the University of Patras, the Hellenic Open University, the Region of Western Greece and the Chamber of Achaia.
The 1st Exhibition took place in 2012, followed by the events of 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019, always aiming at the transfer of know-how from research institutions in the productive sector, the cooperation of research organizations and companies to improve their competitiveness, as well as cultivating a business culture, hosting exhibitors who utilize innovation and knowledge, but also distinguished speakers and representatives of organizations in matters of transfer of know-how and entrepreneurship.
The PATRAS IQ Exhibition is addressed to researchers and students, in the productive sector, to start-ups and technologists, investors from Greece and abroad, as well as to students of primary and secondary schools. The annual event has as objectives:
- Creating a critical competitive advantage, both in the research community and in the productive sector through the constant effort to solve problems and implement innovative ideas
- Familiarization of the research and production sector with knowledge management and innovation development
- Creation of dynamic mechanisms and conditions for building networks and innovative cooperative formations, and financing of innovation
- Development and strengthening of the cooperation of the research community with the productive sector under the umbrella of a stable institution
- Attract funding for research results
- Reducing the flight of intellectual capital
Throughout these years, the PATRAS IQ Exhibition has achieved the following results:
- Cultivation of business culture in school students, pupils and researchers
- Development and strengthening of the cooperation of the research community with the productive sector for the transfer of innovation and advanced technology
- Upgrading the organization from local to national character with representation of local bodies, central government bodies and Ministries, as well as research organizations and companies from other parts of the country
- Attracting interest from internationally renowned personalities of the business and investment world who participate as speakers to transfer their know-how and experience.
- Increasing the number of exhibitors - visitors - volunteers
- Meetings of research teams and start-ups with Business Angels to network and claim funding (Patras IQ 2017 pilot action)
- The exhibition has already been hosted by 3 different venues, initially in smaller ones and with the passage of time and the evolution of the event, in venues of the larger indoor stadiums of Patras, sometimes creating functional and spatial difficulties which are overcome due to the flexible organizational structure and approach to the Report and the impeccable communication and cooperation of all involved.
- Patras IQ, as an initially local initiative of the Chamber of Achaia and the University of Patras, was supported by its own resources at the beginning looking for ways and means to ensure its viability through partnerships, sponsorship offers, participation in development programs, so that this original idea can evolve into an Institution. The successful organization of the Exhibition initially in 2012 and then in 2015 and 2016 with significant leaps in the field of organization but also in the impact it had on all involved, attracted the interest of important politicians and academics who drafted their forces creating a dynamic cooperation scheme of 2 Ministries, 2 academic organizations and 2 development agencies that work together for the development of the project.
- Patras IQ proves every year that it is an important and interesting pool of ideas that can be transformed into business moves with the right mentoring, or lead to collaborations with business and productive organizations seeking innovation in their development processes, which gives Patras IQ National and European interest.
6 Patras IQ events (2012 to 2019) with an increasing average of:
- 5000 visitors
- 80 exhibitors
- 100 volunteers
- 70 speakers
In this way, PATRAS IQ is a key event for the projection of the INTECMED project, as it will be able to benefit from such an innovative network and hub, that will contribute to the implementation of the pilot projects and the capitalization activities foreseen throughout the project.
More information on the website: https://www.patrasiq.gr/
This article has been written by the Organising Committee of the PATRAS IQ.