ESMES in Jordan advances in Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency of three schools
On the 28th of November 2022, the Institute for University Cooperation (ICU) ESMES Italian lead beneficiary and the German Jordanian University (GJU) ESMES Jordanian partner, had organized a monitoring visit for the Joint Technical Secretariat (JTS)
A visit to the Madaba Technical School for boys was led to show the JTS the activities and the achievements of the project.
The Madaba Technical School for boys is one of the three schools that were selected for pilot Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (REEE) intervention; in addition to Jrene Secondary School for Boys and Bayt Yafa Secondary School for Girls.
In each of the three schools the following was done:
- The school’s energy baseline was reported and studied.
- Data acquisition systems and meters (DAQ) were installed to monitor the school’s energy consumption behavior.
- Training on REEE measures was conducted for 30 students and 4 teachers, to increase the community’s awareness in the topics of REEE.
- An energy team consisting of 10 students and a teacher was established.
- The energy team was trained on the DAQ and given online access to view collected data in addition to ways to increase the school’s energy efficiency.
- The schools’ energy behavior was monitored for 6 months.
- Based on the data collected, a data-driven design procedure was applied, and the interventions are currently being implemented.
The tender was awarded, and the contractor has started work in the three schools, the work in Madaba Secondary School for Boys will include:
- High efficiency inverter-based Air Conditioning units.
- Photovoltaic energy system to cover the school’s electricity needs.
- Power Quality measures and equipment to enable the school to better benefit from the above interventions.
It is expected to conclude the work in January 2023!