Save the date: STAND Up! will hold the WeMed Award Ceremony on the 21st November in Barcelona
On the 21st November 2022 it will take place the WeMed Award 2022 Ceremony in which the 4 best textile and clothing start-ups from Northern and Southern countries will be awarded.
In this second edition, organised by MedWaves, the United Nations Environment Programme Mediterranean Action Plan (UNEP/MAP) regional activity centre for Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) and Texfor – Textile Industry Confederation, the award recognises success stories of sustainable businesses in the textile and clothing sector.
On the occasion of the ceremony, we will get to know public and private initiatives promoting the transition to a more circular textiles and clothing sector coming from both sides of the Mediterranean. We will also have the opportunity to hear successful start-ups coming Egypt, Italy, Lebanon, Spain and Tunisia.
The Event will feature an exhibition of products from some of the most outstanding textile start-ups of the Mediterranean Region.
This edition is funded by the ENI CBC Med funded STAND Up! Project and SwitchMed. The STAND Up! Project aims to enhance scalable, replicable and inclusive circular economy textile ventures in the Mediterranean by developing an ecosystem of business support, innovation, and technology transfer.
Agenda of the WeMed Award Ceremony
09:30 – 10:00 Arrival of participants and registration
10:05 – 10:30 Official Opening
- Vincent Ernoux, Coordinator of the ENI CBC Med Programme for the Western Mediterranean
- Jihed Ghannem, Public Information Officer at United Nationals Environment Programme–Mediterranean Action Plan (UNEP/MAP)
- Enrique de Villamore, Director of MedWaves, the UNEP/MAP Regional Activity Centre for SCP
- Josep Ma Mestres, TEXFOR President
10:30 – 10:35 Intervention of a jury member
- Mohamed Ibrahim, International Consultant for EC procedures, Grant management and expert in entrepreneurship
10:30 – 11:30 Public and private initiatives towards more a circular textile industry
- Initiatives supporting Southern Mediterranean SMEs in their transition to circularity
Roberta de Palma, Chief Technical Adviser at United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO)
- The EU Circular Textiles Strategy and the EU initiative for recycling
Mauro Scalia, Director Sustainable Businesses, EURATEX
- The Egyptian case study: Sekem
Dr Ahmed Elshazly, Director, Office of Sponsored Programms and Centers, Sekem Foundation
- Textiles initiative from Prato
Daniela Tacconi, Research of ARCO Lab at Polo Universitario Città di Prato
- From waste to fashion: natural dyes in Tunisia
Neila Drira, Eco-innovation expert and researcher on textiles
- Circular Fashion Pact (Catalonia, Spain)
Mireia Cañellas, Head of Sustainable Development of the General Directorate of Environmental Policies and the Natural Environment
11:30 – 12:30 MedCircular start-ups from the Mediterranean
- Circular business strategies and business models
Ferda Ulutas Isevi, Sustainability and Circular Economy Expert, World BCSD
- DIJA MO by Khadiga Mostafa
- ZEROW by Gabriele Rorandelli
- FabricAid by Omar Itani
- Julia G. Escribà by Julia Escribà
12:30 – 13:00 Awards Ceremony
13:00 – 14:30 Exhibition and cocktail